TAX RETURNS FILED
The total number of tax returns filed for the
year 2000 distributed by type of tax is shown below:
A. INCOME TAX RETURNS
- For 2000, the total income tax returns filed was recorded at
2,792,499 registering an increase of 373,871 or 15.46% from last
year's 2,418,628 returns. The growth of income tax returns filed
is attributed to taxpayers' availment of compromise settlement
per RMO No. 42-2000.
- The individual returns posted positive performance from the
previous year with 10.40%, 35.77% and 195.18% increases for BIR
Form Nos. 1700, 1701 and 1703, respectively.
- Corporate tax returns filed also registered an increase from
previous year by 34,969 returns or 38.65%.
- Only Capital Gains Tax returns filed (BIR Form Nos. 1706 and
1707) registered a decrease from last year, owing to the slowdown
in economic activity and in real estate transactions.
- The new Annual Capital Gains (BIR Form 1707 - A) returns recorded
a compliance of 2,247.
B. WITHHOLDING TAX
- In 2000, the total number of Withholding Tax returns filed reached
to 2,885,530, registering an increase of 662,272 returns or 29.79%.
Taxpayers' availment of compromise settlement (RMO No. 42-2000)
and the Government's officials compliance with Joint Circular
1-2000 (RMO No. 16-2000) contributed to the growth of Withholding
Tax returns filed.
- New Withholding Tax returns were introduced in 2000 (BIR Form
Nos. 1601-C, 1601-E and 1601-F) replacing BIR Form No. 1601, This
explains the negative growth in filing BIR Form No. 1601.
- Returns on Fringe Benefit Tax (BIR Form No. 1603) posted an
increase of 12,813 returns or 234.46%.
- Returns on Withholding Tax Remittance (BIR Form No. 1606) also
increased by 47,703 returns or 212.04%.
- For CY 2000, the total number of tax returns filed by registered
withholding agents is 343,830 which is higher by 21.60% as compared
to CY 1999 registered withholding agents of 282,747
C. VALUE-ADDED TAX
- The number of VAT returns filed increased by 101,430 returns
- Both the Monthly VAT Declaration (BIR Form No. 2550M) and Quarterly
VAT return (BIR Form No. 2550Q) showed positive growth in returns
filed, compared to the 1999 figures.
D. PERCENTAGE TAX RETURNS
- The percentage tax returns filed numbered to 748,875, registering
an increase by 0.47%. Tax mapping operations and close monitoring
of taxpayers contributed to the growth in the number of percentage
tax returns filed.
- The number of Quarterly Percentage Tax Return (BIR Form No.
2551) increased by 48,912 returns or 7.67%.
E. TRANSFER TAX
- For CY 2000, the number of transfer tax returns filed registered
a decrease of 750 returns or 1.90%, This performance is due to
the slowdown of the real estate sector.
F. EXCISE TAX
- The number of Excise Tax Returns (BIR Form No. 2200) was recorded
at 7,503 returns, posting an increase of 5,329 returns or 245.12%.
G. OTHER TAX
- BIR Form No. 0605 (Payment Form) registered an increase of 126,260
returns or 27.87%.
- VAT Registration Fee and DST returns both declined from the